The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission oversees the registration of portable x-ray machines in the state. The Board of Radiologic Tech Examiners looks after licensing.
X-ray License in Wyoming
The Wyoming Board of Radiologic Technologist Examiners licenses Radiologic Technologists and Radiologic Technicians in the state. No person can practice as a Radiologic Technologist or Technician in the State of Wyoming without first obtaining a license from the Board.
- General License Application - Select this packet if you are currently registered with ARRT or NMTCB
- Restricted License Application - Select this packet if you have not attended a radiologic technologist program and would like to test and x-ray up to three body areas
Registering an X-ray Device
Wyoming is an Agreement State. They have jurisdiction over x-ray equipment, naturally occurring radioactive materials, and radioactive materials that are not produced in a reactor.
Regulations for Portable X-ray Equipment
Wisconsin State Legislature, Chapter DHS 157, Radiation Protection, Subchapter VIII — X-ray Device Requirements.
There is very little in the regulations that specifically address portable x-rays. There is one section for hand-held dental equipment, which states:
- Operators of hand-held intraoral dental radiographic units shall be trained to operate such equipment. The training shall cover: manufacturer specific exposure control, use of safety devices, operator and patient protection, and quality control testing.
- When operating a hand-held intraoral dental radiographic unit, operators shall wear a lead apron and thyroid collar unless the hand-held intraoral device has a secondary protective barrier.
- A hand-held intraoral dental radiographic unit shall be immobilized during a patient examination. A tube stand may be utilized to immobilize a hand-held intraoral dental radiographic unit during patient examination.
- The operator shall ensure there are no bystanders within a radius of at least 2 meters (6.5 ft) from the patient being examined during exposures.
- Hand-held intraoral dental radiographic units shall be used for patient examinations in dental offices that meet the structural shielding requirements specified by the department.
- Hand-held intraoral dental radiographic units may not be used for patient examinations in hallways and waiting rooms.
Disclaimer: The information in this document is solely for reference material. Regulations change often. To be sure of the most up-to-date laws, contact your local and state agencies.
State of Wyoming Board of Radiologic Technologists Examiners
2020 Carey Ave. Suite 201
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Wyoming Radiology License
Occupational Licensing Administrator
1800 Carey Avenue, 4th Floor
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002