In the state of Vermont, the Board of Medical Practice manages all licensing of personnel, and the Radiological Health Program oversees the registration and regulation of portable x-ray machines.
X-ray License in Vermont
The Vermont Board of Medical Practice is responsible for the licensure of healthcare practitioners. The cost is typically $50 per verification.
Registering an X-ray Device
The Radiological Health Program inspects radioactive materials and x-ray instrument use and security.
All facilities that have radiation-producing machines (including portable x-rays) must register their machines annually and notify the Health Department of any changes in ownership, address, or equipment.
Regulations for Portable X-ray Equipment
- 220.127.116.11 A person who initiates acquisition, transfer or disposal of a portable device shall notify the Department within 15 days of the action. Sending a portable device for calibration, maintenance or source replacement does not constitute transfer.
- 18.104.22.168 Portable devices may only be used by or under the direct supervision of individuals who have been instructed in the operating and emergency procedures necessary to ensure safe use.
- 22.214.171.124 For each individual that the licensee permits to use a portable device, the licensee shall maintain a record showing the type of device use permitted and the basis, such as training certificates, for that authorization. An individual’s record shall be kept for at least 3 years after the individual terminates association with the licensee.
- 126.96.36.199 Portable devices shall be secured from access by unauthorized personnel whenever the device is not under the direct surveillance of an individual authorized to use the device.
- 188.8.131.52 The licensee shall maintain a current sign out log at the permanent storage location of the portable device. Log entries shall be available for inspection by the Department for 3 years from the date of entry. The following information shall be recorded for each portable device:
- 184.108.40.206 Emergency instructions shall accompany each portable device taken off the premises of the licensee.
- 220.127.116.11 Mobile or portable radiation producing machines shall be physically secured to prevent tampering or removal by unauthorized personnel.
- 18.104.22.168.1 To the extent practicable, portable X-ray tube heads shall be supported by a stand.
Disclaimer: The information in this document is solely for reference material. Regulations change often. To be sure of the most up-to-date laws, contact your local and state agencies.
Board of Radiologic Technology
Office of the Secretary of State
26 Terrace Street, Drawer #09
Montpelier, VT 05609
Vermont Secretary of State
Office of Professional Regulation
26 Terrace St., Drawer 9
Montpelier, Vermont 05609-1106