The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) runs the Bureau of Radiological Health programs that oversee portable x-ray machines in the state. Program activities include:
Program activities include:
- Licensing of facilities using radioactive materials
- Registration of facilities using radiation-producing machines
- Inspections of facilities using radioactive materials
- Credentialing of persons using radioactive material or operating radiation-emitting machines
X-ray License in Iowa
Iowa Administrative Code 641-42.2(136C) lays out all the rules and regulations for acquiring an x-ray permit in Iowa.
Registering an X-ray Device
The Medical Use X-Ray Equipment program regulates the possession and use of radiation-emitting equipment used for medical purposes.
The general requirements of the program are:
- Register all facilities with portable x-ray equipment annually.
- Set operating standards and ensure that all equipment meets them.
- Set standards for healing arts screening.
- Set and ensure that all operators of radiation-emitting equipment follow safety procedures.
- Protect the radiological health and safety of all Iowans.
Regulations for Portable X-ray Equipment
"X-ray equipment" means an X-ray system, subsystem, or component thereof. Types of X-ray equipment are as follows:
- Mobile X-ray equipment means anything mounted on a permanent base with wheels or casters for moving while assembled.
- Portable X-ray equipment means equipment designed to be hand-carried ( but can be used with a tripod or other stabilization mechanism, so the operator is not holding the equipment during exposure).
Iowa Admin. Code r. 641-41.1 - X-rays in the healing arts
.3-4-(9) Portable or mobile X-ray equipment shall be used only for examinations, excluding intraoral dental imaging, where it is impractical to transfer the patient(s) to a stationary X-ray installation. Handheld mobile X-ray equipment may be used for routine intraoral dental imaging in place of stationary equipment. Handheld X-ray equipment shall be used only for intraoral dental radiography.
.6-5 Beam limiting and alignment regulations
.6-b-(2) X-ray control - used for greater than 1 week or used for greater than an hour and less than 1 week regulations.
.6-c - Source to skin
- Beam limitations
- Tube stands
- Protective barriers
Disclaimer: The information in this document is solely for reference material. Regulations change often. To be sure of the most up-to-date laws, contact your local and state agencies.
Iowa Department of Public Health
Bureau of Radiological Health
Lucas State Office Bldg., 5th floor
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0075
Iowa Radiology License
Department of Public Health
401 S.W. 7th
Des Moines, Iowa 50309